Rotational Molding Design Guidelines
Greg Stout is the founder and owner of plastic design company, Blue Reed LLC, in Stow, Ohio and his company also offers rotational molding design guidelines to make sure your product is the best it can be. Blue Reed is no stranger to the plastic industry. Here are some tips that they have created over the years in the business to help you better understand what you would like designed by Blue Reed or even if you’re designing a product yourself.
- When designing your product, keep in mind how the mold will open and close around the product. The least expensive and maintenance mold has two pieces. If your product will require a number of mold pieces, you are increasing the chance of wear and tear due to operator handling and additional parting lines required. A good example is the toy industry, which has mastered the concept of 2-piece mold/product design, resulting in low cost tools used in high production.
- Tongue and groove parting lines maintains better registration over the life of the mold.
- Avoid parting line on sharp corners or along knife edges, always add a radius.
- Avoid vertical parting lines.
- Today’s products require multiple piece molds, various types of inserts (stainless, alum., brass), molded threads for caps, internal threads, caster mounting plates are molded in product.
Blue Reed also has guidelines on shrinking, flatness and stiffening, and radiuses and angles, and many other processes that are involved in the plastic industry. Greg Stout and his team has over 25 years experience in rotational plastic molding so you’re guaranteed quality service by people who know what they are doing. They can also help you find the right supplier if you’re in need. Blue Reed will go above and beyond to make sure their customers are satisfied and have a product that they are proud to produce. By following these rotational molding design guidelines, you’ll be all the better off and you will be glad you contacted Greg Stout and Blue Reed. Don’t wait! Find out what they can do for you today!